Tricaster Mini HD-4SDI - modification to add tally outputs

NewTek Switchers
Frosti

Tricaster Mini HD-4SDI - modification to add tally outputs

Post by Frosti » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:05 am

I thought I'd share this information in case it was of any use to anyone out there. I've a background in electronic design, and was asked if I could add hardware tally outputs to a Tricaster Mini HD-4SDI. I achieved this by adding a small circuit board to the control surface (which is required for this design).
I know that there are network based tally units available, and these would avoid any actual hardware modifications (with associated warranty implications!). This is a bit of an 'old school' approach built on Veroboard, but it works, and if you or a friend are handy with a soldering iron it's a very cheap way of adding 'on-air' tally outputs to the Tricaster Mini HD-4SDI.

* I've done a full write up of the project including design notes as well as many pictures of the circuit board and mounting, but it's not possible to attach it to this post. *

I have attached the circuit diagram/schematic plus a couple of pictures of the board and control surface mod to give an idea of what's involved, but message me and I can send you the full write up if you're interested.
Feel free to get in touch with any questions or comments, especially if you're thinking of making it.
Good luck!
Attachments
Circuit board.jpg
Circuit board.jpg (541.62 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Tricaster mod FINAL Rev C 26 4 19.jpg
Tricaster mod FINAL Rev C 26 4 19.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 40 times
Board mounting.jpg
Board mounting.jpg (396.8 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Tricaster mods temp for drawing Rev C 26 4 19.png
Tricaster mods temp for drawing Rev C 26 4 19.png (126.49 KiB) Viewed 40 times